Re: SIGFPE and -mieee

Hello,
On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 06:23:22PM -0400, Tyson Whitehead wrote:
> Okay.  So your problem is that you have an EV5 and you don't want me pushing
> though something that will slow your numerical simulations way down.  That
> makes sense.

To be honest, almost all of our computational boxes are EV6+, so in
*my* case this would be tolarable.

> My problem is as follows.  Right now I've got 44 packages pinned at various
> releases that I've recompiled with -mieee to get working.  I did this about
> three weeks ago.  I am now running into problems where I can't install
> package x because I don't have latest release of library y (i.e. library y,
> or something library y depends on, is one of my 44 pinned packages).
>
> I don't want to spend a great deal of time compiling, bug reporting, and
> waiting, so I would like to take care of my current 44 packages (and all
> possible future ones) with one email to the 'package maintainers list' (i.e.
> something along the lines of please add the original bit of code I posted to
> your rules files).*

Maybe you could post the list. And ask on debian-devel about mass
bug filling.

> I think then (correct me if I'm wrong), we are agreed that this is an okay
> course to take for desktop application (i.e. not ATLAS/BLAS, LAPACK, etc)?
> We can, of course, also tag any other specific applications that do a lot of
> numerical crunching and that -mieee slow down noticeably (now and/or as they
> arise).

If that would be possible, great.

> So then, the only thing left is that I'm really quite clueless about the
> Debian process?  How do I get this change made to the non-numerically
> intensive application packages?
>
> Is there such a thing as the 'package maintainers list' to post an email about
> -mieee to?  Are the Alpha builds maintained by separate people?  Is their a
> guideline for new package maintainers I could get supplemented with -mieee
> info?  Could we just put it in the GCC specs file so it becomes the default
> on all packages that don't specifically turn it off?

This would be an option too, but then we should introduce "+mieee" or
something similar.

Greetings

            Helge
--