Re: Installing on a DAC960 controller?

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 08:28:18AM -0500, Nathan Poznick wrote:

> Sorry... the error message that I see from the DAC960 driver upon boot
> of the cd is:
>
> Unknown Initialization error FB at ...
>
> (and then it lists the PCI bus location and stuff which referrs to the
> card)

Interesting; I thought that error message came *after* checking for
the correct FW revision.

> So, it's seeing the card, but it's not able to use it (most likely as
> you point out, because it's not running the 2.73 firmware)

I'm not sure that's the problem...

> Hrm, I think part of the problem is that this is one of the controllers
> OEM'd by DEC, which is running the custom DEC firmware (of which 2.70 is
> the latest...I updated to that last night).

Ah, so you *are* running some FW that may pass muster by the driver, eh?
I've had good luck with that 2.70 FW on a card nearly identical to yours.

> The Manufacturing part number on it is D040349-4D-DEC, so according
> to LSI's cross reference list
>
> (http://www.lsilogic.com/techlib/marketing_docs/storage_stand_prod/raid/gam/dac960_cross_ref_list.txt)
n>
> it is a DAC960PD-3.  My only fear with going to the 2.73 firmware is if
> it will continue to work at all after the firmware upgrade -- I don't
> know if the DEC firmware does something specific to this OEM'd card, if
> it does something specific to make it work on alphas, if only makes it
> work with Tru64/NT/VMS, or if it's perfectly safe to use.

I don't believe it is safe to try to update the FW with either of these
scenarios:

1. use DEC FW update utility and MYLEX FW
2. use MYLEX FW update utility and DEC FW

> So, the question of the hour is:  Has anyone successfully used the 2.73
> firmware on one of the DEC OEM DAC960PD-3's?

I believe I remember a report (from years ago) that an "officially
updated to 2.73 by MYLEX" DEC DAC960 did work, but I don't remember
any details, and don't know if MYLEX is still doing that kind of thing.

I've a couple of cards that exhibit that symptom (error FB); I've been
meaning to dig into the driver to see if I can understand what might
be going wrong but haven't had a chance. I'll see what I can do over
the next few days...

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com