sb driver locks up machine

Hi All,

My problem is that the sb (soundblaster) driver locks up my machine when it loads. I'm attempting to use a PnP AWE64 sound card on an AlphaStation 400. The AWE64 is the only ISA card in the machine. I have tried kernel 2.2.18 (and isapnp tools) and 2.4.20 (with kernel pnp support) with exactly the same results.

With 2.4 kernel/pnp support, the machine locks up when I type --
   modprobe sb
With 2.2 kernel, I first have to configure the card with isapnp then it locks up when I type --
   modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma16=1 dma=5
I was able to alias the /dev/audio device to the sb module so that I could also cause the machine to lock when I open /dev/audio...

The last thing to be printed on the console is --
   Sound blaster audio driver Copyright (c) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
   SB 4.16 detected OK (220)
And then the system hangs. I have waited up to 10 minutes before giving up and pressing reset.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

--
Finn Thain