Re: AlphaStation 500 MILO problems + Voodoo questions

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 03:12:49PM +0100, M. Grabert wrote:

> I successfully installed debian woody  on my AlphaStation AS500/500 in
> the past using the SRM console and using the ATI MACH64 clone which
> was installed when I bought it. It was running fine, until the harddisk
> was facing it's end ...
> Well, the ATI graphics card was running under linux/xfree before,
> but since I had to open the AlphaStation anyway to replace the harddisk,
> I replaced the graphics card with a better one (Voodoo 3 3000).
>
> I managed to install linux (again, again SRM console), but it's not
> being initialized by Xfree (nor SRM), although XFree86 is set up
> correctly and seems to run fine (except I don't see anything).
> Also, the tdfxfb Framebuffer load fine, but isn't able to produce any
> display.

Did you update the SRM console to the latest available at:

	http://ftp.digital.com/pub/digital/Alpha/firmware

If not, it's possible that the latest SRM contains a BIOS emulator
that will work with the Voodoo3 3000.

> The AS500 (Codename Bret) is IIRC pretty close to a 'Alcor' (AS600),
> so I chose this MILO image. Unfortunately it stops when trying to run MILO
> (at 'Swapping to PALcode at 0x0'), so I tried other images, with the
> same result. Well, at least the MILO for pc164 showed some more success
> (MILO stops, at the prompt I try to boot Linux from the CDROM, but stops
> with SCSI timeouts), and the xlt is also promising (similar to the pc164
> expericence, but stops when trying to spinning up the SCSI harddisk,
> although the HD automatically spins up when getting power).
>
> Any clues how to install Debian using ARC on a AS500 or
> (even better) any clue how to get the Voodoo running when using SRM?

You should have the best luck with an XLT MILO, as the BRET and XLT
are extremely close, architecture-wise.

If there is a CDROM attached to the SCSI bus as well as the HD, try
disconnecting the CDROM before powering up and booting MILO. I know
that's not the best long term solution, but if you get it to see the
HD, you have made some progress...

> And a second thing: does anybody know where to get the EISA Configuration
> Disk (since you can't get them on the internet anymore due to legal
> reasons)? My sound doesn't work and I tried some settings people here
> said that might work, but unfortunately they didn't.

The sound should work, it does on mine. It's a Windows Sound System
clone, so working values are: IO=0x530, IRQ=9, DMA=1, DMA2=0.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com