Re: Alpha kernels

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 01:49:25AM -0500, Bob McElrath wrote:
> Where does one go to find *current* *working* alpha kernels?

ftp.xx.kernel.org, replace xx by your country, i.e. de for germany. If
you need certain enterprise features or have a little supported
machine, then you should download the latest kernel from HP
(search on the RedHat axp-list for details) and apply the appropriate
patches -- but almost everything should work out of the box.

> Who is the maintainer of the alpha arch?

There is no "maintainer" as far as I know. Various people contribute
to the alpha relevant bits. Alpha is rather closly tied in the kernel
itself (the original port was made by Linus himself) and has been
working very good for ages now. There are only some enterprise
features (high load on some network cards, large memory configuration
and similar things) "not yet merged".

> I've scoured the kernel source and can't find it.  There is no
> Documentation/alpha directory (though there is for most other arch's).

Because of the good state of the port.

> http://www.alphalinux.org/kernel/ is horribly out of date (no mention of
> 2.4...)

Havn't looked there for a long time, maybe mail to the webmaster?

> Is there anyone maintaining a tree specifically for alpha?

No.

> Are we dying the slow death?

Hardware: Yes, Software: No. glibc is in good state, many apps are
available (even "problematic" ones like mplayer), even acroread as one
of the most common propriotary ones is running nicly. And of course,
almost all of Debian is available.

So no need to worry

                   Helge

P.S. If you cannot find the download location for the HP kernels mail
     me privatly and I dig it up.

--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de
  gpg signed mail preferred    gpg-key: finger kreutzm@rigel.itp.uni-hannover.de