java vm not working, appletviewer does...

Hello everybody :)

I've got great headhaces trying to setup Compaq JDK 1.3.1 on my PWS runnind debian SID. At first sight my problem seems a classpath related faq, but I cannot find a solution anywhere. My CLASSPATH is set to /usr/java/jdk1.3.1:/usr/java/jdk1.3.1/lib:/usr/java/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib:. which should be fine.

When I try to run the HelloWorld code...
gl:~/java/Hello$ java HelloWorld.class Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: HelloWorld/class

The HelloWorldApp applet code instead runs fine in the jdk appletviewer...

What should I do?

Thanks
gl :)