Re: questions

At 05:38 AM 28/03/03, Jens Bech Madsen sent this up the stick:
tor, 2003-03-27 kl. 17:51 skrev Bob Schmidt:
> Hi again,
>
> Well here we go, I just aquired a DEC 433au with 256mb of ram. It
> doesn't
> have a hard drive, I have a 20gb ide I was going to put in it.  It does
> have
> the scsi controller, but I don't have a scsi hard drive for it yet
> because I
> don't know how many pins it has.  I am planning on putting debian 3 on
> it.

Just a quick note on the harddisk choice. I've been thoroughly unable to
get SRM to recognize the SCSI disks in my PWS's. And since I have no IDE
disks in them, I have to use AlphaBIOS + Milo to boot.

If anyone know how/if it is possible to get SRM on a PWS to detect SCSI
drives, I would really like to know. The setup for AlphaBIOS is a bit
cumbersome.

If your box is an -au series, the QLogic SCSI adapter will be integrated onto the riser board. If it is an -a series, then you prolly have an Adaptec card. SCSI cards known to work are the QLogic 1020 and 1040's, and Tekram DC-390UW cards. I believe most cards with a Symbios or NCR 810-type chipset should also work.

--
Love as it exists in society is merely the mingling of two fantasies and the contact of two skins.

This is random quote 773 of 1254.

Distance from the centre of the brewing universe
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian

Public Key fingerprint = 6219 33BD A37B 368D 29F5  19FB 945D C4D7 1F66 D9C5