Re: Fwd: AlphaPC 164SX - situation

--- Glenn Fuller <ggfuller@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Alpha BIOS 5.66 21164 PC Microprocessor 533MHZ.old digital order number 211PC-03 I suspect on
> the MOtherboard.
> WIndows NT Alpha BIOS Firmware.
> I'm trying to locate a floppy disk to boot this system and either recover and over ride
> password, or reconfigure and re-install.
> My son died.  No info where to start.
> Glenn Fuller

The following should work. If it doesn't I'd like to know now, as it's what
I'd do if I or my alpha were in the same situation, so I can be better armed
myself.

>From the AlphaBIOS console, find out which is the root partition on the hard
disk.
Pull the hard disk out, plug it into a system that you can log in to.
Mount the root partition read/write, and blank the password field of the
root account in /etc/passwd and/or /etc/shadow.
Unmount, unplug, return it to the alpha and boot normally, and login as root
with no password.

If the partitions are encrypted, then probably all bets are off.

Phil

=====
I Pledge Allegiance to the flag
That appears on my Desktop Startup Screen.
And to the Monopoly for which it Stands:
One Operating System over all, inescapable,
With Freedom and Privacy for none. -- Telecommando on /.