Re: IDE performance on 164LX?

> Hello.
>
> I've noticed that my IDE hard drive on 164LX is
> _terribly_ slow. Yes, I know, I should buy SCSI -- but
> I can't afford that right now :(
> Perhaps, there are some possible tweaks to
> get the speed a little bit higher (like switching on DMA on
> Intels does...)?

Hi,

I would start by searching _why_ is your IDE so slow - Maybe some hardware
conflict (I would rule out a IRQ conflict, as the system _does_ work...
Anyway, I don't know much about Alpha internals, but I think this is
handled the same way as in Intel machines.

I have a 164LX with IDE drives, and it works quite well. Try snooping
around /proc - Maybe /proc/interrupts will help you.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@campus.iztacala.unam.mx - (+52-55)5623-1118
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23