Re: Configuring ipchains and DNS

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 08:05:14PM +0800, bob did blurt:
> I've been borked up by my ISP and it looks like I'm going to loose the
> sub-domain I've had for ~7 years in about 3 weeks. This means that I'm
> going to have to bring forward the plans I have for this Alpha running
> debian potato [1] I have here.
>
> Anyway, long story short. I'd like to get up to speed on configuring a
> firewall/gateway & DNS (I think I can handle most everything else but I
> have 0 experience with ipchains or setting up a DNS (I'll be
> registering a domain).  I may need some hints here and there along the
> way on other things too.

Well, I can't give much advice on ipchains, but:

1) Woody is, for all intents and purposes, stable. It's not "stable"
due to details regarding how to improve security updates. Update your
/etc/apt/sources.list to point at "testing" and start your updates.

I've been given advice to upgrade apt and dselect first, then the rest
of your installation. While that didn't work for me, there's no reason
it shouldn't work for you. If this is a production box, and this is
your first attempt to upgrade Debian, I *would highly recommend* you
experiment on another box first. You will save yourself a lot of
grief.

2) If you are interested in an updated resource on flat, dead
trees, I'd plug "Linux Administration Handbook"; Nemth, Snyder, Hein;
Prentice Hall, 2002. The authors do a fine job of describing the
nitty-gritty system management tasks in the RH, SuSE, and Debian
environments. The networking topic starts on pg 237, and ends on pg
710. I have no known relationship to the authors.

3) Debian's MTA is exim. It does a fine job, and the authors have gone
to a lot of trouble to provide a sendmail work-alike interface. It is
highly configurable, and although I use < 1% of its capabilities, it
hasn't failed me yet.  I don't know the details of why Debian chose
exim over sendmail, but it probably has something to do with why we
choose Debian over other distros.

--
Microsoft Free By 2003