Re: Who keeps writing /etc/resolv.conf?

Cris & Jamie:

Thanks for the advice!

I found the problem in script /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/0dns-up

It rewrites /etc/resolv.conf when pppd exports nameserver and DNS info.

I modified the script to echo "search localhost" as the first line of the newly
generated resolv.conf when it's about to write the first DNS address

'pon reflection, it seems that this rewrite has to happen for each new PPP
session. The-o-ret-i-cal-ly, these values could change per session. However,
I will look at pppconfig & see what effect disabling resolv.conf has on Netscape
access

There should probably be a KEEP THIS FRIGGING LINE directive for this script,
but for now, the script mod does the trick.

Thank-you for your support!

jec

Jamie Wilkinson wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, Jeffrey Chimene wrote:
> >Hi:
> >
> >on 2.2r3
> >
> >I finally got Netscape running over PPP - after adding the SEARCH
> >LOCALHOST command to /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> >However, something keeps removing the line - it has privileges to
> >re-write the file  (I set the file a-w)
> >
> >Is there any way to see what app is changing this file?
>
> If you set up ppp with pppconfig, there's an option to tell ppp to leave
> your resolv.conf alone.
>
> --
> jaq@spacepants.org                          http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg
>
> Surely someone writing documentation is familiar with the custom of
> actually reading it?

microsoft free by 2003