SRM required for 2.2r3 Avanti?

Hi:

Trying to install potato. After several hours, I switched to SRM from ARC.
I don't understand why switching to SRM from ARC allowed the 2.2r3 installation to boot. ARC was not creating the ram disk correctly? Even with MILO 2.2 installed. Perhaps the requirement for SRM should be more firmly stated in the Alpha installation guide. FWIW, I used the following ARC command: boot sr0:boot/linux root=/dev/ram initrd=boot/root.bin
and received kernel panic: unable to mount root fs

Cheers
-- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-alpha-request@lists.debian.org with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org