Re: need help with milo and repartitioning

"James D. Freels" wrote:

> All these problems were fixed by using the milo provided by
> Stefan Reinauer that is compatible with Reiserfs:
> http://www.suse.de/~stepan/binaries/2.2-18/
>
> Even the v2.4.13 kernel started working that heretofore would not boot.
>
> On Thursday 01 November 2001 03:11 pm, James D. Freels wrote:
> > I have a second Alpha machine (533 Mhz 164lx) running
> > Debian/Alpha/Woody and v2.4.12 of the kernel.  It uses the Alphabios
> > and milo to boot.  That works fine if sda1 stores the kernel,
> > ldlinload, and milo, sda2 for root, and sda3 for usr.
> >
> > Now I want to rearrange some of the partitions (to convert all to
> > reiserfs) and temporarily use sdb3 for root and sdb4 for usr while
> > still maintaining sda1 as the boot space for milo, kernel, etc.  I
> > have modified the OS options of Alphabios with the parameters
> > "root=/dev/sdb3 single", but milo seems to ignore this after the boot
> > (note: I have /etc/fstab temporarily modified in the sdb3 copy to use
> > sdb4 as usr, etc.).  I can see the parameters getting passed during
> > the boot, but the system boots exactly as before.  It is as if the
> > normal parameters were hard coded into milo somehow.
> >
> > Can anyone help me with this?  One option I probably should do anyway
> > is boot from a floppy (passing the same parameters) and see if this
> > will work.  A second option I might do is convert to SRM (similar to
> > my first Alpha) which I like better anyway.
> >
> > Also, the remaining partitions are already converted to reiserfs.  I
> > also tried to boot v2.4.13 and it gave me problems for some reason.
> > I noticed a v2.2-18 of milo that supports reiserfs on alphalinux.org.
> > Do I need this to boot in this instance?  The version of aboot I use
> > on my SRM machine supports reiserfs also.  Is this my problem?
>
> --
> James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.
> Oak Ridge National Laboratory
> freelsjd@ornl.gov - work
> jdfreels@home.com - home

I can also vouch for the fact that reiserfs support is built into the
newer MILOs from Stephan.  During my unsucessful attempts to get the new
MILO going for my XLT a couple of months ago, I tried re-compiling from
Stephan's source code.  One of the setup questions was on reiserfs
support, and I found that I had to patch the "stock" Debian kernel
source with the reiserfs patch to eliminate some compile errors early on
in the process.  Stephan indicated that he used a SuSE kernel source and
a CVS "test" version gcc-3.0 to compile his kernels.  This leads me to
suspect that there might be other patches applied to a "stock" 2.2.18
kernel for the SuSe kernel too, but I couldn't figure that one out.  I
never got a complete compile without errors, and the MILO for the XLT
still freezes up at the "switching to PAL code at ......" line...even on
the most recent boot-floppy versions.  I have given up on figuring this
out, as it is beyond my level of knowledge, I don't use reiserfs (don't
need it here right now), and I can still use the old MILO from Potato to
get the current boot-floppies going....did it just last weekend.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-