Re: Anyone willing to autobuild for non-us

[Please CC as I'm not on the list.]

    Christopher> On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Sam Hartman wrote:

    >> Hi.  I have noticed that no one seems to be autobuilding Alpha
    >> for non-us.  This makes it rather hard to get packages into
    >> testing.  I am waiting on the new version of krb5 to build for
    >> alpha, but the problem is more general.
    >>
    >> I don't have root on an alpha so I can't build my own packages.
    >> I do know that some people are building their packages for
    >> alpha, but overall, at least for non-us, the port seems to be
    >> slipping significantly.

    Christopher> You don't need root on an Alpha to do package
    Christopher> builds...you can use the fakeroot package :-)

O, please do tell me how to install my build dependencies using fakeroot.

    Christopher> Also, last I checked, non-US is being autobuilt.
    Christopher> Perhaps some of the packages just don't compile
    Christopher> cleanly, so they aren't being built.

I sort of doubt it.  Between krb5 1.2.2-4 (builds fine for alpha and
is currently in testing) and krb5 1.2.2-5, I made no source changes.
In fact all I did is remove some debconf templates, simplify the
postinst/config script and depend on krb5-config in the control file.
That shouldn't break alpha builds.

Neither that package nor any of my other recent uploads (or uploads of
other MIT developers) have been built for alpha, even when previous
versions of the package built fine.

If the package fails to compile, it would be nice if the autobuilders
could get around to sending a build log within a month (it's been
waiting 32 days to go into testing).  In the past I've been prompt
debugging architecture problems once I'm aware of them.