Re: Kernel 2.2.19 crashes, 2.4.4 bad performance

> Hello Thomas,

Hi,

> I am curious about your test.
>
> I am assuming that you built kernel-2.4.4 under 2.2.19 and 2.4.4??

Yes, this is correct. I build kernel-2.4.4 with the same .config and after doing a full
make dep ; make clean cycle - obviously, in order to give the exact same thing to build.

> Why did you use -j4 instead of -j2 on a dual processor box??

This is my personal historical preference. Creating four parallel jobs ensures, that there is
at least one extra job scheduled for execution for each CPU. Since make -j<something>
creates jobs after one being finished and the limit of concurrent jobs is below the -j
parameter, using 4 instead of 2 interleaves the times make needs to determine weather
it should create another job or not.
In practice, if found, the the variance between several runs of the same make-based
buildprocess is smaller, if you exceed the number of CPU's by the number of concurrent
jobs created via -j. Obviously, it isn't any faster in reality.

Regards,
Thomas

--
Thomas Weyergraf                                                kirk@colinet.de
My Favorite IA64 Opcode-guess ( see arch/ia64/lib/memset.S )