Re: 2.4.3 and bsd disklabels

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 08:33:10PM +0800, Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:
> > hda: unknown partition table
> >
> Did you write the table to the disk?  Sometimes you have to reboot the system
> before it recognises the new partition table.  This happens if a partition on
> that disk is mounted, or you have an old fdisk which doesn't resync the table.

Yes, it seems to be there, 2.2.17 has no problem booting and finding
everything.

> > I had
> > CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL=y
> >
> Where did you get that?  about 2/3 of the way through the config?  with lots
> of other partition table support type bits?
This is in the kernel config file, around the same place it mentions the
sun and other OS partition labels.

> does your /etc/fstab  have the correct entry for / ?
> the kernel should say error mounting root on ...   the ... is important.  It
> tells you what device it's trying to mount / on.  eg sda1, sdb2 etc
03:04 which is /dev/hda4 (correct)

I rebooted and saw the following messages, they may not be exactly
right.
hda probe failed
hdd probe failed
lots and lots of complaining about the SCSI card, timeouts, reset aborts
hex return values, and for every SCSI id.
lots of lost interrupts for hda

It doesn't like 2.4.3 at all.  I've given up and will be downloading
2.2.19

Could it be the fact that I'm getting lots of stuff about the ide chip
in 2.4.3 CY82C693U (i think) but not in 2.2.17? It's not doing something
wierd like reading the disk drives differently.

BTW, it's pretty quiet on #alphalinux

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>