Monitor syncing on multia

Hello all!

I got hold on a very old IBM monitor that was bundled with the PS/2.
I wanted to use it with my multia (noname).

It works all right as long as I'm under the ARC console, but
as soon as I boot linux the screen is completely garbled (it's
also garbled when I go under the boot menu).

I tried the monitor with a few other computers:
sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (and I haven't figured
the pattern :().

Do you think there is any way to solve this problem (there is
absolutely no setting possible on the monitor), or should I just
trash it?

Thanks.
Julien Stern