Re: nis 3.8-0.1 on axp

According to Richard B. Kreckel:
> > No idea. Someone NMUd it for me without my consent. I haven't
> > tested it.
>
> Eeeh, somebody NMUd it without your consent???  So what are we going to do
> next?

It appears to be a normal thing that security NMUs are done without
waiting for a reply from the real maintainer of a package. Oh well.

> It seems like Debian is now recommending a security upgrade for
> potato/alpha which is severely broken!  What would you have done if there
> wasn't any NMU yet?  Backport the security patch, if that is feasible?

I'd probably have packaged the same packages, since there were no
real changes from ypbind-mt-3.6 to ypbind-mt-3.7 - only some cosmetic
fixes and ofcourse the security hole was plugged. Nothing that seems
related to what you are experiencing.

The only way this can be fixed is if someone with an Alpha is able
to reproduce, debug and fix this, I'm afraid... the package works
fine on i386 (except for the broken Depends: line in the woody version)

> > The code was just added to be (reasonably) sure that there is
> > a binding to a NIS server after /etc/init.d/nis has been run
>
> Whatever "to be (reasonably) sure" means, since it needs manual reading of the
> startup messages.  I am still somewhat unhappy with it but I really woud not
> bother.

The only alternative is waiting until a NIS server is found, but that
means the system hangs in the boot process, and that is a definite
nono. NO package should EVER indefinitely stop the system.

I'll consider substituting 'failed' with 'backgrounded'

Mike.
--
Q: How many ears do Trekkies have?
A: Three; the left ear, the right ear, and the final front ear.