Re: First time install on Multia/UDB

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 09:10:25PM -0500, Andrew Woodings wrote:

Hi Andrew,

> To get the kernel booted I use
>
> boot fd0:linux root=/dev/fd0

add to this commandline 'load_ramdisk=1'

> It boots up the kernel and scrolls through a bunch of stuff ending with
>
> Partition check:
> VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
>
> After inserting the root disk (same thing happens if I try to use the root.bin file that is on the rescue disk)
>
> Unable to load NLS charset cp437(nls_cp437)
> VFS: Mounted root (msdos filesystem) readonly
> WARNING: Unable to open an initial console (/dev/console)
> Kernel panic: cannot open initial console

The problem is that there is no writeable root device. So no new devices can
be created (like console). Try the suggested option and read

	http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/milo.html

for additional information and commandline parameters. This is a great
resource...

Hth,

B.

--
B. Warmerdam                                              GNU/Debian Linux
bartw@xs4all.nl, bartw@debian.org (Keyid: 10A0FDD1)       ----------------