Question about video cards

I have a question about video cards and alpha machines.

I have a DEC AlphaServer 400 4/166 and right now the machine has the factory
S3 card (894 or someting) installed in it. This card sucks and I am having a
hard time getting it to behave under X. So I am wondering what my options
for other video cards on this machine are?

Can I pretty much take a PCI video card and put it in this machine and
(provided Xserver exists) expect it to work? Can anyone recommend a
particular family of cards that are well behaved and supported for alpha? I
have a spare 2MB ATI 3D Xpression kicking around (I think it is Mach64-VT or
GT chip) and I would like to use that since I know it worked very well on a
PC i had running linux.

Any information would be appreciated. thanks

Another question I have is the same as above, but sound cards. Can I take a
SoundBlaster and put it in this machine?

Chad Dale
Software Developer
Versus Technologies Inc
(416) 214-7949