Re: dec multia

Cormac McGuinness wrote:
> Hi,
> I'll just add my $.02  like the other poster I got my Multia to boot
> completely off NFS with no disks at all. However I found that I had to
> make sure to both set up the bootpd server on the machine that was delivering the
> "abooted" kernel image and also a dhcpd server, that I only had replying to the
> hardware MAC address of the Multia.

Yes, I had to fiddle with bootpd a bit to get all the info back to
the Multia.  I also set the SRM boot params to pass the string to the
kernel with its NFS root location, so I could just power the machine on
and it would boot.

I've since wiped my bootp configuration, but I do remember I did not
need DHCPD.  You can compile a Linux kernel to do "auto configuration of
network devices", and it will try RARP resolution and bootp.
If you set the right keys in your bootptab, to assign an IP to a
MAC address, the kernel will be able to jump right from bootp into your
NFS server.

--
Shaw Terwilliger