Re: Fast blas1

Paul Slootman wrote:

> On Thu 10 Feb 2000, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
>
> >    * I can't figure out how to do cp */*.o *.i as in, rename those files
> >      to the same thing with .i instead of .o, so I can't make the static
> >      lib work.
>
>     for i in *.o
>     do
>         mv $i ${i/%\.o/.i}
>     done

Okay, took some trial and error, within a make target it's more like:
        @for i in *.o; do \
          mv $$i $${i/%\.o/.i}; \
        done
Thanks, this is in the diffs now, and static seems to work.

> >    * Goto's BLAS are GPL!  So it's illegal to link non-GPL apps!!
>
> Hmm, what's blas's license? If not GPL, using your diff is illegal
> as well (at least redistributing the result etc; take it to debian-legal
> if you want to debate the subtleties :-)

BLAS license: "This software is in the public domain."  I think this is
compatible with GPL, in that anyone can just copyright the whole thing and
redistribute it as GPL.  One couldn't then (legitimately) claim copyright
infringement for proprietary use of the "prior art" in a library with just the
original FORTRAN, but only against this library with the Goto routines.

Or is it copyright infringement to copyright and re-distribute it?  But it
wasn't copyrighted in the first place.  Hmm.

What constitutes "compatible with GPL"?

Thanks again,
--
          Adam Powell                     http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/
          Thomas B. King Assistant Professor of Materials Engineering