Debian on a Digital Alpha Server 3300

Howdy. I'm new to the Alpha world, but I just got myself a deal on a 3300 after confirming on the general alpha mailing list archives that Linux can be installed on it (it's marketed as an NT-only machine), and I just thought I'd check in here and see if anyone has had experience with one of these puppies. It's apparently similar in architecture to the AlphaServer 800 series. The one recommendation I've read so far was to install Linux from the SRM console using Digital's directions for the DS, ES and XP machines, even though this is an AlphaBIOS system. Does anyone have any input on this? Also, the Digital documentation I mentioned recommends upgrading the firmware, but I've checked and the firmware upgrade is large enough that it won't fit on one floppy and can only be upgraded over BOOTP or an OpenVMS network and I have no experience with such a thing. If I can get the files burned to a CD, should that be enough to allow me to upgrade the firmware via AlphaBIOS?

Thanks,

-->ben fulton