Unstable Debian errors

I'm running Debian (on a DEC Multia), although am fairly new to alphas and
linux. However, after installing the stable version from CD-ROM, i couldn't
find a working web browser. One just disappeared and another seemed to be
black screen and never showed the web pages.

I eventually got sick of the one that just vanished whenever it felt like it
and so decided to look for a new browser. I heard Mozilla is the go, so i
downloaded it only to find it required other packages, so i downloaded them
aswell. Unfortunately i think i ended up with half an original
kernel(stable?) and half a new kernel(unstable?) as linux wouldn't work
properly after installing the files Mozilla needed. I then couldn't seem to
step back down to the original files as 'dselect' seems only to support
upgrading not downgrading (unless you completely remove the package and then
reload the original version).

So after reloading the stable version from the beginning i attempted to
completely upgrade to unstable version (downloaded approx 200Mb) so as to be
able to have a useable browser. I had memory errors during the configuration
of the new packages (every time it was modifying the 'menu's) but eventually
got most of the packages configured.

--Now for my question (sorry about the preamble) --

When i rebooted i got (and still get) the following error messages (it
nearly gets there...):

error in configuration file
Not starting x display manger       (i always got this message...i think i
know what it is)

INIT: id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for five minutes
INIT: id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for five minutes
INIT: id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for five minutes
INIT: id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for five minutes
INIT: id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for five minutes
INIT: id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for five minutes

 ...etc            (this is the real problem)

 It just keeps scrolling on with these 'INIT' messages every 4-10 seconds.

 As i can't log in, i dont know what to do. I really don't want to reload
 everything again.

 Also, surely upgrading to the unstable version shouldn't mean i have to
 download approx. 200Mb

 Any help would be appreciated...i didn't expect linux to tire me out so
 quickly.

 Regards,
 David.