Re: [potato] Floating point exception

Christopher C Chimelis <chris@debian.org> writes:

> On 22 Nov 1999, Ron Farrer wrote:
>
> > I am running the latest potato and get Floating point exceptions on a
> > lot of stuff. One that I would really like to get working is gs-aladdin,
> > it gives this message:
> >
> > bash-2.02$ gs
> > Aladdin Ghostscript 5.50 (1998-9-16)
> > Copyright (C) 1998 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.  All rights
> > reserved.
> > This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
> > Floating point exception
> >
> > That's as far as it goes. What is the likely cause of this?
>
> Bad compilation.  Alpha's gs packages should be compiled with -mieee.  If
> you can send me a list of things that are bombing with FPE's, I can take
> care of them.
>
> Thanks!

mpeg_encode (from ucbmpeg) dies with FPE error, -mieee solves it.

Runs more than twice as fast on my 533 MHz alpha than on my Celeron
466 MHz.

But I will send in some big diff to correct a lot of thinks that are
wrong with the package, a lot of uninitialized variables I think, time
taken per frame and status reports are bogus, but time estimation
magically works fine. The mpeg stream created also is fine, so its
just fixes to make it look nice not to make it work. I will include an
"-mieee" for alpha in the fixes, so you might not need to bother but
could wait.

MfG,
	Goswin