Re: Strange problems with clock

On Wed 03 Nov 1999, John Chapman wrote:

> What I think has happened (to all of us) is that the "date" program has
> been silently changed to correspond more with "date" on several
> other versions of System V.  That is, if you type "date 11030930" it will
> reset the system clock for you.  The -s flag now sets the clock <string>
> number of seconds ahead of the current setting; thus every time you type
> "date -s 11030930" you add some 127 days to the current time.  If you do
> this with a longer string including the year as well, you may end up in
> the next century, and if it's beyond 2038, you end up in 1915, or something.

No, that is DEFINITELY not it. I typed 'date; date; date; date' as a
regular user (no in no way could I be influencing the system clock
or whatever) and I got dates varying from Jan 1 1970 to Jan 20 1970
or thereabouts, with the date jumping randomly. It looked like the
microseconds field was being interpreted as the time_t seconds, hence
the seemingly random value between invocations.

Additionally everything returned to normal as soon as the new 2.2 kernel
was booted. Actually, I now recall that when I mounted my backup root
partition (still slink) and chrooted to it, everything immediately
returned to normal date-wise, while the other screens were still showing
these dates in January 1970.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/