Re: mpeg video

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Steven Udell wrote:

> Christopher C Chimelis wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Steven Udell wrote:
> >
> > > for mpeg player with sound try SMPEG
> > > http://209.223.115.151/development/
> >
> > I just compiled this the other day but don't have a soundcard or an mpeg
> > around to test it with.  If someone decides to test this on a potato
> > system, please let me know how it works (I'm *really curious*...if it
> > works, I'll yank a soundcard out of one of my PCs and slap it in the SX
> > since I'm dying to make that my total workstation).
>
> It's available on the potato under main/binary-alpha/graphics
> -rw-rw-r--   1 ftp      ftp         95088 Aug 27 18:55 smpeg_0.2.7-3.deb
>
> an apt-get install smpeg
> will get it for ya :)

FYI, I don't think that the smpeg on master works very well (if at all).
I've got two MPEG files that I tried to play with it (video
only...switched off the audio) and it died both times.  With the --novideo
switch, it ran without a problem, but since I don't have a soundcard, I
don't know if it actually output audio or not.

>From the looks of it, this may require some ugly porting and debugging
that I don't really have the knowledge for (as far as MPEG knowledge).  IF
someone wants to tackle this, please do :-)

In the meantime, ucbmpeg-play works very well and it played both of my
MPEG files without a hitch.  xanim still is crappy WRT MPEG support and
was so choppy that it was sad.  ucbmpeg-play played one of my longer MPEGs
at 24.98 fps on a 164SX with a crappy S3 Trio64 video board (2MB).