Re: SCSI controller req..

"Matthew R. Pavlovich" <mpav@purdue.edu> writes:

> Anyone have a SCSI controller which they recommend for use with an
> ALphaPC164 motherboard and 21164 500Mhz?
>
> I have used Adaptec 2940 and 3940 on an ix86 board, had few problems and
> plan on shopping for one of those..  any thoughts pro/con?

>From what I hear, the Adaptecs are rather cabeling sensitive and also
they're expensive. I'd say go for a NCR/Symbios based card. Tey're
cheap, they're solid and they perform well. Also that's what Digital
used to build into their boards, so you can expect them to be properly
supported by the BIOS. ASUS makes some cards with NCR chips and they
add active termination; I've had zero trouble with mine even though I
have improper cabeling (my case doesn't permit the 50-intern/25-extern
adapter for the ZIP to be at the end of the bus).

kind Regards,
--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows