Re: First day and I hose the Multia....

jmd decided to waste my bandwidth saying:
> I got a Multia from Linuxstore.com today. I was trying to set it up and
> see what I had to work with. I powered up fine, right into SRM and
> everything seemed fine. I have 64M memory, show showed ethernet and scsi
> at id7. There are no drives connected to the scsi, ide or floppy drives.
> I decided to change to the ARC console (I have a Cabriolet board and I'm
> comfortable here) and I typed in arc at the SRM prompt. I waited for a
> while and nothing happened. I powered down and powered up. Nothing came
> up on the screen. I remembered the extra battery, installed it and now
> when I power up I get to: "Initializing firmware... then "Initializing
> Device Drivers  NCRC810" at this point it stops. I let it sit like this
> for 10mins. Nothing?

	I have upgraded the firmware on both of my Multias but the version
install'd seem'd to work fine... I just decided to go against the rule of
thumb (ie - If it ain't broke don't fix it)...
	I did learn that if the firmware can't read the keyboard or display
to the monitor it will redirect out to the serial port... They explain how
to how it up to serial on another machine and get into the system bios but
I was lucky and removing the battery for awhile clear'd it up so I could
fix the problem...

> Did I hose the ROM by powering down? Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Another hardware question... can I use any 44 pin laptop IDE cable for
> the 2.5 Seagate drive that came with it?

	Hmm... I tried an 2.5 IDE drive and it wouldn't work... Slap'd a 2.5
SCSI drive and it works perfectly... I did not the machine wouldn't even
boot if the IDE drive was install'd... Of course I didn't get the 2.5 drive
that linuxstore or cpumicromart sold... I just got a standard 340MB SCSI 2.5
drive... Works like a champ...

	Respectfully,
	Jeremy T. Bouse
	UnderGrid Network Services