Re: Trying to install Debian 2.1 on Alpha ES40

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Alexandre Vitrac wrote:

> Sure ! But it would be nicer with Linux on it :)

Hehehehehe...I second that! :-)

> Well, I don't think so. Because I don't even get to a kernel loader. I should
> end with an "aboot>" prompt, and I only have a lonely 'a' on one line.
> I suppose that this lonely 'a' is just the beginning of "aboot>", but maybe I'm
> wrong.
> Is aboot like LILO on Linux/Intel ? Does the letters have a meaning ? (like :
> "if it's stopped on a, this means that...").

Not that I know of.  I can recompile aboot for you that's optimised for an
EV6, but don't know how much that's going to do for you.  I'll poke around
for a new version of aboot or some patches for it.

> I know that when I'll get to this boot prompt, I'll probably have lots of other
> problems with the kernel, but for now, I would just like to have this prompt :)

Ok.  I'll look around.  I have a few sources for such things.