Re: kernel upgrade

On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> There's no need to go through 2.1.x at all (I ran 2.1.x for awhile, but
> only because I was working on some stuff for the then-upcoming potato
> devel cycle).  Also, be aware that there are some problems with 2.2.9 on
> some systems.  You'll definitely have to acquire the Alan Cox patches for
> that kernel (believe me, you'll be better off), but I've found that
> anything beyond 2.2.7 somehow screws with my ability to compiler larger
> programmes (including the kernel).  Work is still being done on fixing
> this, but it only seems to occur on some types of Alphas (SX is definitely
> affected, I can vouch for that).  If you can live with 2.2.5, I would
> recommend it over 2.2.9 any day of the week.

	Just for a data point, I grabbed the source to 2.2.9 off of
ftp.us.kernel.org and complied it on my XLT alpha. I then then rebooted
with the new kernel, and never had a problem. I even recompiled the 2.2.9
kernel this afternoon to add nbd and md/raid support, and had no problems
in the compile at all. The new kernel booted fine, and everything is
working fine, including nbd and raid!
	Guess I just got lucky... What were Alan Cox's patches supposed to
do? I didn't go for 2.2.10 because I had heard on debian-user that 2.2.10
had a filesystem corruption bug. Oh, the fun of new stable kernels and
trying to figure out which one is best. :)
	In case anyone is interested in why I upgraded (other than just
for the sake of doing so)... I was on 2.0.35, and was having scsi
subsystem unstablities (with single ncr controller, three disks and a
tape), and got worse when I recently added a storage array for a total of
two controllers (ncr + aha2940), seven disk, three CD-ROM drives, and one
tape. So far 2.2.9, seems to be handle everything much better than 2.0.35
could.
	So, 2.2.9 is not a lost cause for all Alphas, just some it
appears. Oh, I am running stock Debian 2.1 on my XLT 366. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                     |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)    |
|  Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  | rkirkpat@nag.cs.colorado.edu  |
|               http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/                |