Hwclock failure on a Sable

Hello folks,
I'm running a Sable (AS2100 4/275) on Debian 2.1 (slink), and it's
running fine with a single exception. Apparently kernel is unable to set
system clock during boot. Running hwclock gives:

[root@slinky /root]# hwclock --debug
Open of /dev/rtc failed, errno = Operation not supported by device
(19).  falling back to more primitive clock access method.
determine_clock_access_method() returned invalid value: 3.
Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.  Use --debug
option to see the details of our search for an access method.

hwclock is looking for the /dev/rtc device, which of course I haven't
compiled in the kernel.

So obviously, the solution is to compile it in (2.2.4), which I
happily did. On rebooting to my dismay, the boot process is being hung
at "calibrating delay loop..." or something like that (didn't capture
the
exact message, sorry).  I think it's just after or before the Bogomips
section.

System is able to boot again once I unconfigure the RTC.

It's not exactly a show-stopper as I can manually set the system date
and time, but then I'll have to restart some daemons (notably sendmail)
manually too.

--
Wai-Sun "squidster" Chia
Internet Solution Architect