Re: Weird...

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Joel Klecker wrote:

> login uses it to set the HZ environment variable, but I don't believe
> the line is necessary. I have run my i386 box for a long time without
> the ENV_HZ line in /etc/login.defs with no ill effects.

Hmmm...yeah, I was just checking on my Alpha and it seems that it's set
for no particular reason and isn't passed on to the shells at all.  On top
of that, it seems that HZ corresponds to the cycle freq, which seems to be
detected well by the kernel (which may be overriding login.defs' setting
of it).  In any case, it doesn't seem to cause us ill effects, so I guess
we'll leave it alone... :-)