FWD on req. dl II [gp@atnet.at: Re: Hows Alphadebian doing?]

----- Forwarded message from Gerhard Poul <gp@atnet.at> -----

Hi,

> There has been no official release for Debian GNU/Linux Alpha port yet. The
> Alpha port is currently frozen and is planned to be released with Slink (Debian
> 2.1). Therefore there are no official cd's available yet. The same applies to
> installation.

That's one of the things I don't like... Because only to say "this port is
not currently released" isn't really okay for most users...

I think it would be better to place the comments users send to a page or
file everyone can look at and to tell the user that this would be done in
the future... not just "it's not currently released"... I think everyone
noticed this because otherwise he wouldn't write these things to the mailing
list...

And if we do that we also give the users the feeling that it was a good
decision to use alpha and not to buy an i386 and to use it
out-of-the-box with linux without any problems...

I think it's really good that I wrote this mail because now I know that
there are some people out there who work on the debian-alpha and that it's
not a dead project... But I haven't seen any new things on the alpha-port
page and nothing on this mailing list... And so I (and maybe also some
others) thought that this would be dead... :(((

cu
 gerhard

----- End forwarded message -----

--
B. Warmerdam                                              GNU/Debian Linux
bartw@xs4all.nl, bartw@debian.org (Keyid: 10A0FDD1)       ----------------