Re: partition counting for Alpha

On Friday, 27 Nov, David van Leeuwen wrote:

> Q: Is there a maximum of 4 primary partitions, even for SCSI/Alpha (I
>    thought that that limit was a MSDOS/Bios/IDE limit).  I believe SUN
>    uses many partition on a singe SCSI disk.

Yes.  SUN, BSD, Digital UNIX use different partitioning scheme that
allows for 8 partitions.  Microsoft, however, has shamelessly yet
carefully brought in the traditional PCish partition table stuff that
has 4 primary partitions and that ugly hack called extended partitions.
As long as you use ARC/AlphaBIOS console, you can only boot from a
PC-style partitioned hard drive.

As for MILO and partitions, I think 2.0.35-based Debian MILOs would see
them in a normal way.

Nikita