Re: checking the release-critical bugs

On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 at 06:57:32PM -0800, Joel Baker wrote:
> Marc Singer wrote:
> >
> > This sounds really great.  I'm unable to install it on a UDB at the
> > moment.  Since this is likely to be one of the most popular Alpha's
> > out there it makes sense to get it running on that platform.  Right?
> >
> > Can anyone confirm asuccessful installation of debian on a UDB?
>
> Plus or minus a few things, I've got one running and five more in the queue
> to be done. The biggest issue I'm having at the moment is working with the
> kernel. I'm something of a purist, at least as far as core utilities go,
> and I shudder every time I see anything on stderr when compiling them, so
> I'm sort of biding my time to see how 2.0.36 ends up.

This is mysterious to me.  Lessee.  I used Loic's latest boot floppies
15-Nov.  NFS doesn't work, so I dup'ed an up to the minute mirror of
sid to a hard drive and installed from there.  I installed potatoe
[sic] since there is nothing is slink and sid is linked there.  I
selected the smallest of the stock configurations, admin, which should
install about 35MB.  The problem is that dpkg, the same version as is
running on faure, complains when it tries to set the permissions on a
symlink.

If you can suggest a variation on my methodology, PLEASE.  I'm
eager to get this UDB running so I can use it.