Plea for help

Dear Maurice,

> API/Samsung UX motherboard (aka Ruffian) has an onboard 21143PC ethernet.
> It is a tulip variant of a newer kind. It odes 10T/100T.
>
> Installing Linux on these beasts, upgrading tulip.c to v.90 we get a
> problem or two.
> First: Media detection: It goes into an infinite loop trying to figure out
> the media type and generally sends pile sof spurious packets to the
> interface, effectively hosing your hub/network.
> Second: If you compile in the driver with the option for a fixed media
> type, it seems to send, but not receive packets.

Your problem sounds a lot like the one I fought seriously with a year ago.
The problem for me was that *even* hard-wiring the media type in the kernel
did not *fix* it.  The patch of Loic Prylli that made it work for me is on
in my ftp directory (available through my home page below under
Debian/Alpha/Miata): it is relative to tulip 0.88, the for me only stable
tulip driver.

> p.s.: We have tried emailing/calling Donald Becker, but he either is away,
> too busy, or something else, because we received no reply..

Donald is nice and conscientious but give him a few weeks!

Cheers,
	Kristoffer
--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, Ph.D., prof.associé  <Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR>
Laboratoire de l'Informatique du Parallélisme  équipe PLUME, bureau LR5-026