Re: Mozilla available for testing... (BAD lib naming conventions?)

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Bob McElrath wrote:

> I upgraded to libstdc++2.9.0 (from rpm's, of course), in case that was the
> problem.  And made the appropriate symbolic link.

It still might be.  I'll look into this further.  I'm hoping for a Debian
box to test it as well.  I've made some mods to binutils that might have
fixed a few things library-wise.

> This seems like a dangerous thing to do.  All a person has to do is compile
> their own egcs, and then anything they compile with it will break because it
> can't find the right libs.  Also, anything not *specifically* compiled for
> debian will break because it can't find the right libs.  i.e. things
> distrubuted in .tar.gz formats...
> Also things compiled as .deb won't work on non-debian systems...
> This seems very dangerous...

Well, unfortunately, it wasn't my decision to do (maintainer of the egcs
package is the final say).  I just rebuilt it.  There are appropriate
links (ie. libstdc++-2.9, etc), but they just weren't used.  I haven't
checked for the existance of libtool in the Mozilla code yet, but if so,
that may be to blame...(libtool is evil).

> It was huge, so I didn't attach it.  Grab it at:
>
> ftp://draal.physics.wisc.edu/pub/mozilla/mozilla.deb.strace.log

Got it.  Thank you very much :-)