RE: Problems with lchown..

----------
From:  ninjaz@webexpress.com[SMTP:ninjaz@webexpress.com]

> Hmm.  Does this mean I shall rot eternally in the depths of lchown hell
> because I was unaware of the proper order?

With the current situation ...  yes.
Actually this transition should have been smoother.
Leaving the possibility to break dpkg during an upgrade is a bad thing, and should not have happened.

>I recompiled a new kernel with
the debian packages you mentioned, the patch applied fine barring 5 failed
hunks on an aic driver (which I don't use), the system started trying to
fsck the mounted hard-drive as someone said it would when I tried dpkg
-i'ing the new libc6 with the new kernel and still exhibited the lchown
problem, so I rebooted, and tried it again.

The fsck is a problem with the sysvinit package, not with libc.
Having the lchown problem after following the instructions of Micolaj is a mystery to me.

> off and install netbsd or ?
Redhat for example.:)

> I'd _really_ like to stick with debian, as
> it's been my favorite for 3 years, but if this problem is unresolvable
> without some sort of complete re-install, let me know that, too.

Remember that this is *not* a released version of Debian.
Reading the list is very important if you want to run Debian for Alpha at the moment.
Actually my system is still running smoothly, because I read the list.
So the answer: you can easily come along *without* a complete reinstallation, but only if you
read the list ....
If you don´t have time for that, then you´d have to spend the time in solving already solved problems.

Guenter