Re: Various problems compiling packages (+ binutils broken?)

On 27 Oct 1998, Brederlow wrote:

> config.guess: alphapca56-unknown-linux-gnu
>
> Several programs using config.guess can't handle alpha flavours and
> most (if not all) don't care anyway. Maybe config.guess should just
> say alpha-unknown-linux-gnu there.

Yes, it should.  In these cases, I usually add a
--host=alpha-unknown-linux-gnu to allow configuration to flow smoothly.

> fakeroot: unaligned traps
>           segfaults (specially with "fakeroot debian/rules binary")
>              That might be a "conversion of pointer to int" problem
>              with libtrix.

This is VERY possible as I haven't had a chance to properly look into
libtricks or fakeroot again lately.  If you find a fix, please feel free
to upload the newer versions fixed :-)

> make: segfaults when compiling crystal space. The problem seems to be
>       at 0x00000028 (32 Bit int of a pointer?)
> I recompiled make without stripping it and then it gave an "illegal
> instruction" when executed. Is that a bug in binutils?

I'm unsure.  I was just about to upload the 3.76.1 version of make and
have 3.77 overridden on master.  3.77 seems to be buggy, but I haven't
looked into why yet (aside from the $(shell ...) stuff).