Re: Back to RedHat

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980925115520.622H-100000@siva.taz.net.au> you wrote:

: it's a good idea. i have my doubts about whether such packages are
: suitable for inclusion in debian itself or not...but they can be very
: useful to put in your own debian-local archive (especially if you
: configure apt to use .../debian-local/ as well as debian main, contrib,
: non-free, and non-us)

Yep.  I've got a similar package we use at work that forces a certain set of
package decisions required for peaceful coexistence in our environment, which
is implemented with dependencies.  Then, the postinst runs a tool that tweaks
a few things, including adding a root crontab entry to run our nightly system
config freshener.  We put it in our local package directory.

Another thing we do is to pull selected packages from 'unstable' into our
local package directory, when we want to force the inclusion of a newer rev
even on systems that are running mostly-stable.  Sendmail is a good example.

Bdale