Re: planning to compile web section

On Tue 24 Mar 1998, Guenter Geiger wrote:
> Paul Slootman writes:
>  > As the "freeze" seems to have started for real now, are we allowed to
>  > upload these things for distribution "frozen"? I'd guess that non-i386
>  > uploads that are the same version number as the i386 stuff in frozen
>  > should be ok... I'll ask in debian-devel in the relevant thread.
>  >
>  > I'm also thinking about trying to do xfree 3.3.2. I've started
>  > downloading the source (44MB! after bzip2 it was "only" 38MB). However,
>  > if anyone else wants to do it instead, feel free.
>  >

>  Hmm, I have the whole x11 tree lying around here and a 500 Mhz Alpha.
>  I could start compiling x11 too, but won't wait until it's finished,

On ftp://master.debian.org/~branden/xfree86/ there are the sources and
diffs etc. for the -0 version.

>  About the frozen topic .. I think Mike Dorman suggested not to upload
>  to frozen.
>  Thinking about it I would say, why not. We won't harm anyone, and
>  probably we can get the whole thing running more or less.

Yup. This is what Joey (Martin Schulze) had to say about it in message
<19980324145116.50761@kuolema> on debian-private:

:On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 02:40:35PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
:
:> How about compiles for non-i386 architecture? A couple of folks over on
:> debian-alpha are busy compiling stuff for alpha (myself included), and I
:> was wondering whether it is justified to try and keep the versions of
:> packages the same across all platforms.
:
:I believe that releases of other architectures than the native
:arch of a package are allowed until they reflect the same release.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands