Re: dselect working? what should I use to compile?

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 02:30:40PM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> Is dselect working on Debian/Alpha? Do I even dare to try it? (It'd be
> nice, but I can live with mirror+manual dpkg.)

I did use it regularly and never encountered a problem except some
unmet dependencies which should be fewer by now.

Right now there seems to be a problem with the ftp site so ftp install
probably isn't an option until tomorrow ;-)

> What versions of gcc (egcs?) and libc6 should I use to compile
> packages to upload? Other relevant packages?

With regard to libc6: every recent libc6 should be fine (I use
2.0.7pre1-1 because I didn't upgrade recently). About compilers I'm not
so sure what is the best option. I used this one for a couple of uploads:
alf:[~]> dpkg -s gcc
Package: gcc
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 7869
Maintainer: Galen Hazelwood <galenh@micron.net>
Source: egcs (1.0.1-1.3)
Version: 2.90.23-1.3

I stayed away from C++ code because of the libstdc++ issues. Galen
did a new compiler upload a few days ago (gcc 2.7.2..., g++ and g77 from
egcs). I hope this compromise will be sufficient for us, too.

Perhaps Chris could comment ?

Greetings,

				Christian

--