forwarded message from Dirk Eddelbuettel

Guys,

Here's a reply to an inquiry I received regarding Octave under debian-alpha.
I am not sure whether we have all the required pieces in place. Did any of
you try to compile it ?

Regards,

Dirk
(who only has (direct) access to i386 hardware ...)

--- Begin Message ---
Hi Peter,

  Peter>  Hi Dirk, I just saw that you maintain octave-ci and octave-doc in
  Peter> the unstable/alpha -Tree and wondered why there is no binary for
  Peter> octave itself yet.

Well, octave-ci and octave-doc are packages without binaries, they simply get
symbolic links from the binary-all/ tree.

  Peter> Have you succeeded in getting it running or are there be basic
  Peter> problems with compiling it on alpha linux?

The way this works with Debian is a little different. I maintain the 'octave'
package(s) and release the binary-i386 and binary-all packages.

Packages for the m68k, ppc, sparc, alpha, ... architectures are then created
by other maintainer who actually have such hardware at hand.

  Peter> I'm curious because right now I try to install octave libraries on a
  Peter> Redhat5.0-alpha and run into problems with incompatible libc &
  Peter> libstdc++. On RH4.2 I could not get it to run because of a broken
  Peter> f2c.  Does it run with the current debian tree?

I suggest that you get in contact with the Debian-Alpha people. There is a
mailing list for it, you can subscribe to it from www.debian.org.

Let me know how it goes --- I will do my best to help out. But given that I
have no alpha box at hand, there is little I can do now.

BTW: Wasn't there a problem with building libg++272 on alpha? That would be a
prerequisite.

Regards, Dirk

--
edd@rosebud.ml.org                   According to the latest official figures,