pgp on the alpha broken?

Am I the only person here who has problems running pgp?

Mind you, I'm running a home-compiled one, but whenever I invoke pgp,
I get:

$ pgp -ast libtermreadkey-perl_2.09-1_i386.changes
Pretty Good Privacy(tm) 2.6.3a - Public-key encryption for the masses.
(c) 1990-96 Philip Zimmermann, Phil's Pretty Good Software. 1996-03-04
Uses the RSAREF(tm) Toolkit, which is copyright RSA Data Security, Inc.
Distributed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Export of this software may be restricted by the U.S. government.
Current time: 2017/12/15 12:39 GMT

A secret key is required to make a signature.
You specified no user ID to select your secret key,
so the default user ID and key will be the most recently
added key on your secret keyring.

You need a pass phrase to unlock your RSA secret key.
Key for user ID: Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@debian.org>
2047-bit key, key ID E79985E5, created 1996/09/09

Enter pass phrase: cannot open tty, using stdin

Also, if you notice I'm doing this by hand, it's because pgp fails
completely under dpkg-buildpackage, as -fast seems to fail because of
the "cannot open tty, using stdin" message.

Does anyone have any suggestions about this?  It's a really pain in
the rear.

Mike.