Re: hwclock --hctosys dont work.. and..

On Thu 02 Sep 1999, Steve Udell wrote:

> a hwclock --hctosys dont work and a
> hwclock --systohc gives me
> RTC_SET_TIME: Invalid argument
> ioctl() to /dev/rtc to set the time failed.

Did you compile your own kernel? Then you probably forgot to select
"real time clock support". If this is a stock debian kernel, then
I don't really know what's wrong.

> *not that I wana go back 19 years and a good 9 months..*
>
> a  date --set="Sep 2 08:03:00 PST 1999"
> gives me Sep 2 07:03:00 PST 1999    ??? why does it go back an hour?
> and it doesnt keep worth beans.. two seconds later and its back at
> Tue Jan  6 10:37:04 PST 1970

Ah wait, I had this problem when I upgraded my perfectly working
alpha slink system to potato. Instant date stress. Are you using
slink or potato?

When I had this problem, I still had a copy of my original system on
another partition. When I mounted that and chroot'ed into that, the
date command worked again... I didn't have the opportunity to pin down
what exactly was causing it.

In the end I fixed it by building a 2.2.11 kernel (in the old
environment, make doesn't like the date jumping around :-) and booting
that. From then on no more problems.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/