Re: kernel-howto?

Goswin Brederlow writes:
 > "George A. Dowding" <dowdingg@saturn.math.uaa.alaska.edu> writes:
 >
 > > Hello all,
 > >
 > > Debian slink is up and running quite nicely.  What do I have to do to
 > > compile a kernel under alpha?  Is there a HOWTO?
 >
 > Unpack the source,
 > cd linux
 > make menuconfig or make xconfig
 > make dep && make clean && make boot && make modules && make modules_install
 >
 > After that you have a kernel under arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz. Copy
 > that to /vmlinux-version.gz or something else and change your boot
 > setup to use that kernel. Be carefull not to delete the old kernel,
 > since the new one might not work.

what speaks against the make-kpkg I use mostly

cd /usr/src, untar the source, link linux to kernel-source-xxx,
cd /usr/src/linux
make-kpkg --revision=custom.X clean;
make menuconfig;
make-kpkg --revision=custom.X kernel_image
dpkg -i ../kernel-image-xxx.custom.X.deb

which is the debian way ???

mfg winfried