video card installation

Hi guys, I'm new to Alpha-Linux and I've got it up and running, but I have
an AS255/233 with one of those poweredge video cards.  Cool card, but
XFree86 doesn't like it.

Anyway, I bought a Diamond S220, and when I put it in the machine the
machine does not boot at all with that card in it, if I put the other one
back in its fine.

Any experience on getting a 3rd party video card up on these guys?