dpkg-shlibdeps thinks there is a libc6

Hi,

When I try to compile source packages from one of the sites or use alien
to convert rpm's, dpkg-shlibdeps creates dependency information for libc6
and not libc6.1.  This causes all my self-compiled packages to complain
about a missing libc6 package when i try to install them with dpkg.  I've
had this problem since slink was in the frozen stage.  Now I'm running
potato on the machine and since the problem has not been resolved I
think there is probably an error with my machines configuration.  I've
read over the packaging documentation briefly but have not found anything
that may fix the problem.  If anyone could point me in the right
direction, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Mike