Re: IDE drives under debian-alpha

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 12:23:49PM -0700, David Oxilia wrote:

> It looks like your CD-ROM is attached as slave to the first
> IDE channel (hdb) while your HDD is attached as master on
> the second channel (hdc).

Yep. The CD-ROM was configured as primary slave when I bought it, and I
connected a spare IDE disk to the secondary controler.

> Is there a problem getting linux to boot off of
> a _slave_ HDD (hdb or hdd)?

I can't imagine any, but I only know AlphaBIOS -- I'v never used (not even
seen) srm.

Anyway, AlphaBios can load MILO from any partition, and MILO can then boot
the kernel again from any partition.

> Good point. But, is the _slowness_ due to kernel issues, the
> controller itself (i.e. the lack of chip performance), or
> your particular HDD?

I think it's a combination. The controller is not very brilliant, the
kernel is not supporting every feature of it *and* I have an old disk ;)

I never cared about performance there... I just needed some additional
storage space and had this disk lying around.

--
Andreas Trottmann <andreas.trottmann@werft22.com>